Thursday, July 24, 2008

Good Food and Good Friends

Tonight, the 70.3 ladies got together to have a little carbo load. It was great to sit down and just chat about tri and non-tri related things. We, and when I say we, I mean I, made WAY too much pasta. I have what looks like an extra 5 lbs of spaghetti sitting in the fridge right now. I'll be eating pasta for the next week for lunch. I guess it saves me from cooking later, right? Mr. Fury caught wind of the ladies coming over tonight and bolted to his buddy's house for some man time. I'm sure they chopped wood, picked each other's noses or whatever it is that men do together. He missed out on my delicious homemade cream sauce. MMMmmm, yum. There's some leftover so maybe I'll share with him if he's lucky.

Three of the ladies that came over tonight are halfsies first-timers so Captain Cartwheel and I were fielding questions about the distance and what to expect. It brought me back to last year and the unknowns and questions I had about the race, and then it ended up feeling like a piece of cake. It helps that I raced a flat and fast course, but still, it's unnerving not fully knowing what you're getting yourself into! I'm excited for them and I can't wait to cheer for them on the course on Sunday. There are a bunch of other TNTers racing the sprint distance, so when they finish, they're going to have a pot luck picnic and then cheer for all of us halfsies.

My exciting news for the week: I MADE IT THROUGH A WHOLE SWIM MANAGING MY SIDE PAIN! I haven't done a full 1 hour swim in about a month and a half, and I have finally gotten my side pain under control. My massage therapist and chiropractor think I have a hiatal hernia: insert acid reflux and side pain here. I had the same issue last year and was able to get it under control about half way through the season. This year, I started out without the pain and then it gradually got worse about half way through the season. I have FINALLY figured out how to manage the pain and get rid of it when I'm on land. Oh, did I mention it only hurts when I'm swimming? I think it's all the twisty turny motion of my core that makes it flare up. Ugh. I just wish it would go away entirely. After the season is over, I will go to the doctor to have it checked out, but not until after Ironman! I read up on hiatal hernias on webmd.com. I don't know why I did that, but I did. Basically, all webmd.com told me was the only way to get rid of the side effects of a hiatal hernia is through surgery. D-U-M-B, DUMB! Surgery, huh? Maybe this pain is all in my head...

Well, that's all I have for now. I'm finally going to succumb to my food coma I was warding off earlier. Goodnight moon.

No comments: