Saturday, September 6, 2008

AKA: 1913

This morning was fantastic. I woke up, ate some oatmeal and a banana and headed down to Lake Monona to test out the water. We don't have a microwave in our room, but we have the second best thing:


A good ole' coffee/oatmeal maker! Woohoo, genius! Makes for some tasty oatmeal with a hint of coffee flavor... I wanted to test out making some oatmeal this morning so I can make some tomorrow morning without a hitch.

I walked down to the water, hoping to see Captain Cartwheel or some of the Boston Crew, but they were no where to be found. I did the funky chicken dance into my wetsuit, dropped off the rest of my stuff with the lovely Gatorade people checking bags, and charged, err..or gingerly waded into the water. Turns out the "beach" is really rocky. I'm really glad I didn't slip and fall on all the greasy rocks that were under foot.

The water was a great 71 degrees, and the algae seems to be at bay being the air temp has been cool enough lately. There were only a few weeds, and once you're about 50 ft. off shore, the lake drops off and you cannot see the bottom. I cannot express how happy I am the lake is deep enough that you cannot see the bottom. For those of you that don't already know, I have a ridiculous fear of seeing the bottom of a lake/ocean/river/puddle/etc. I think this fear formed when I only trained in Lake Nokomis which is so grimy that you cannot even see your hand in front of your face. Ever since then, I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THE BOTTOM. Yes. Ridiculous. My palms are getting sweaty just thinking about it.

After I finished up my swim, I came back to the room, ate some more, and finished packing my transition bags. I still did not know what to pack so I packed one or more of everything. I figure that should get me through the day, right?

I decided I should practice changing a tube on my bike and using the CO2 one more time before I dropped off my bike. I haven't yet decided if that was a good idea or not. After a possibly catastrophic technical difficulty, a trip to the bike shop and one hour later, I was able to finally put the wheel back on my bike. The valve extender on the front wheel was not cooperating, got stuck inside the wheel for awhile and really just acted like a child hopped up on sugar...they never quite behave themselves now do they??!!

I finally, and barely, got my bike and transition bags down to the Terrace a little after 2pm. It was more than a relief to drop off all of my stuff and be done with it. Mr. Fury and I came back to the room and, of course, I found my water bottles for my fuel belt I forgot to put in my T2 bag. Whoops! I didn't quadruple check and that's what I get. Thankfully I can throw them in there tomorrow morning.

Speaking of tomorrow morning, I am so excited. SO. EXCITED! The nerves have hit me a little bit, but mostly I'm full of excitement. I'm looking at this as a very long training day because I've done this all before. Well, maybe not all together in one day, but I know that on race day things are possible that are not possible on any other day. Yes, I'll do anything to cross a painted line in the middle of street especially when I come to that line I get to hear Mike Reilly say, "Rachel Holzemer, you are an ....."

Tomorrow is going to be a great day! (Rain or shine) You can track me at home on www.ironmanlive.com and my number is 1913. I'm hoping to finish before 9pm, but mother nature will play a role in that as well. We'll see what she brings. Send your good vibes in the direction of Madison, WI tomorrow!

Good luck to everyone racing at Square Lake Half tomorrow!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

CONGRATS! I just watched you cross the finish line! I was Jon McC's mentee and have been keeping up with your and Kim's IM adventures via your blogs since TNT ended. As they say... You are an IRONMAN! Congrats!