Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Locks for Love

I did it. I chopped 11 inches of my hair straight off. Ok, well I didn't cut my hair, but a stylist did. A couple of my friends and I went up to the Hugo Health Fair on Saturday where one of the local salons was holding a "hair drive" of sorts. They were giving free haircuts/styles to anyone that would donate 10 inches of their hair, or if you didn't have enough hair to donate they would give you a haircut for a monetary donation to Locks for Love. Nicole, my friend Tammy's sister, met us up there with her two daughters (who are part of a set of 3-year-old triplets!) and they also donated their hair in honor of Tammy.

I debated the whole drive up there whether or not I really wanted to cut that much hair. My friend Christine and I talked about it the entire way up to Hugo, and it's a long drive up there! When we got to the health fair, we went to the Locks for Love booth and got on the list to get our hair cut and me making it very clear that I had not yet committed to chopping it all off. I've never been so nervous or indecisive about cutting my hair! Usually I'm pretty impulsive and cut it on a whim, but I have also never had my hair as long as it was before I cut it on Saturday.

The stylist called me over, and I'll be honest, my palms got a little sweaty. She asked me how short I wanted it and I told her that I didn't want it shorter than my shoulders. She then measured my hair and said, "Well, if we take it one inch above the shoulders, you can donate it." I then blurted out, "Just cut it! Just do it! Hurry, before I change my mind!" Christine just about got her ear cut off because she whipped her head around and said, "What?! Wait, wait, stop cutting my hair. I have to take a 'before' picture of her!" So, here it is:

The stylist put my hair in a pony tail and then chopped it off just above the hair binder. I instantly lost 5 lbs! Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but my head did feel a great deal lighter. The stylist took another inch off to level things out (ha!) and I ended up with this:


By the time it was all said and done, we had donated a grand total of 40 inches of hair and a few bucks to Locks for Love. All for our girl Tam!

Erin, Me, Christine, Cayda, Nicole and Carly (picking her nose).

All of us girls got together to show Tam our new haircuts and to have a "girls night" before her second chemo treatment on Monday. We always have a good time together:

Christine, Erin, Jackie (the next to CHOP CHOP!), me and Tam.

Bloody noses are HAWT!
This is also why Mr. Fury loves me, and I know this because he just told me.

Alright, now that I'm getting the infamous head shake from Mr. Fury, it's time to go to bed. Goodnight moon.


7 comments:

Mike said...

All the hair cuts look great! What an incredible thing to do, can you imagine a world where people did selfless acts all the time? Craziness!!! It'll grow back anyway! lol

Kris said...

Awesome! That is a really cool thing you did and the short cut is super cute :)

Anonymous said...

Rach -- you look adorable and for such a great cause, too. Way to go!

Steve Stenzel said...

Honestly, I thought you'd look bald and horrible.

But it's CUTE! Great job on a great cause!

Would you want to come to St. Paul on Saturday at 9 am to run track intervals with Borsch and I at St. Thomas? It'll be fun! Wait, it's intervals - it won't be fun. But the more, the merrier!!

Steve Stenzel said...

"...I can walk up to the track..."

Are we neighbors? Not to be creepy, but where do you live? Pharmie and I live on Cleveland, smack between Marshall and 94. St. Thomas is a half mile away, and their track is about 3/4 of a mile away.

Lisa said...

I was wondering when you were going to do that!
I've always liked it short but that shouldn't stop you from growing it out and cutting it again, and growing, and cutting...
looks great Rach!

Steve Stenzel said...

Ha! I liked your "Good News/Bad News/Good News" comment... only I'm sorry about your bad news!

Feel better soon!

In fact, feel better by Saturday, because we're having more intervals at St. Thomas at 9 am. I'm doing some 1600s, followed by a Crossfit stair workout on the bleachers. Are you and/or the Fury available?