Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thumbs Down

Strawberry Stinger gels get a thumbs down, but purely based on their taste. They are not scrumtrulecent. I couldn't get past how not good they tasted in my mouth that I didn't even care what they could do for my performance. Thumbs down.

Orange Burst GU, on the other hand, gets two thumbs and two big toes up. They are delicious and taste like Orange Hi-C. Power Bar Gel Blasts also get a huge thumbs up. Power Bar markets them as "Liquid-filled energy chews. Devour the power." So, I did as they commanded and devoured the power during my run on Sunday. I felt the power so much that I extended my run by 30 min. I just kept running....and running...

I stocked up on all my nutrition stuff for the race at REI. They're having their Labor Day Sale and all the nutritional items were 25% off or more. I went a little crazy, but at least I don't need to worry about having enough GU, Luna Moons or Gel Blasts for the race. I'm all set if it rains too because I got my new bike jacket in the mail I ordered from Chain Love. I love gear so much...

My workouts this weekend were spectacular. Captain Cartwheel, Dr. B and I went out to Woodbury and did the Woodbury Days Bike Ride. We rode the 60 mile course and it was a lot of fun to cap off the long training days with this organized ride. The course actually met up with the Ragnar Relay course so we got to see some very sleep deprived runners along the way. Poor things had to run up the big hill in Afton. That part of the course must have been a beast to get through. Note to self: Do not run that leg of the course next year.

Oh, yes, this weekend I also decided I'm doing Ragnar next year. If anyone is interested, please let me know! I've wanted to do this race for a few years and have always had other races going on. Next year is going to be pure fun racing: Minneman, Ragnar, Twin Cities Marathon....a SPRINT tri! Oh man, I haven't done a sprint distance in far too long! I'm just going to do all the races that I have wanted to do but haven't.

My run this past weekend, as mentioned earlier, was fantastic! I went out with some friends the night before and three beers later I was practically under the table. I figured I wasn't going to have a good run at all considering the shape I was in when I went to bed, but my body never fails me. I must metabolise everything so fast that I had my hang over when I was sleeping because I woke up feeling like a champ. My run was no different. I attribute most of that to the fantabulous orange flavored GU and how much power I devoured.

The Fury and I didn't make it to the State Fair though. Sad Face. I did something to my shin muscle (yes I'm that muscular), and it hurt to walk a lot. Passing on the fair was probably the right thing to do, but I don't have to be happy about it! My mouth is salivating just thinking about mini-donuts and Sweet Martha's Cookies. Ah crap, now I'm hungry again.

On a less food related note, I'm looking forward to this weekend. The Fury and I are going up to the cabin to hang with the family. I only have a 2:30 bike on Saturday and a short run. I'm going to have so much time left over, I'm not going to know what to do with myself. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it! Maybe I'll even sleep in a little bit...

I hope ya'll have a great three day weekend!

2 comments:

Jon said...

Ragnar rookies have to go through initiation by doing one of the runs that requires a bluff climb. Maybe you should be on my team and I'll get to pick which runner # you are. Yeah, that could be good payback! Hmmm....

Steve Stenzel said...

Good luck with the shin.

And I want to do Ragnar too! Looks like a blast!!