Thursday, October 4, 2007

Kick, Pull...glugg...glugg...glugg...

Just for fun, and improvement, a group of my TNT friends and I signed up for a swim class through St. Paul City adult education programs. We're all in the adult advanced swim group and that makes it sound like we know what we're doing. Well, I will speak for only myself here, but all that means is I (and maybe others) are in the advanced class because we are very advanced in not knowing what I am (we're) doing. I'm so advanced at not knowing what I'm doing, that I now feel like I'm drowning instead of swimming when the instructor corrects my unknowingness in the water.

Last night was my first class. Last week was actually the official start of the class, but I was busy packing boxes and going through my things for our (The Silent Fury and I) move to our new house on Sunday. So, anyway, back to my first class. I was really excited to get back in the pool and out of open water swimming. I enjoy being able to follow the black line on the bottom of the pool and the comfort of knowing that no little (or big) fishies are going to nibble on my toes. For some reason though, I got a little panicky and my excitement faded when walking through the doors of the high school where our swim lessons are held. I sensed Mr. Fury was feeling the same way because his face slowly dropped the closer we got to the pool area. I felt like it was the first day of school again. Instead of worrying if everyone liked me, I was worried that the instructor was going to tear apart my stroke...and well also that I was going to have a steady diet of chlorine over the next hour or so. (Only one of those fears proved to be mostly true....Mmmmmmm chlorine.)

Our instructor was really great. We'll call him Iron J for our purposes here. He just earned the title Ironman in September along with The Silent (Iron) Fury and Safety (Iron) Bob. Iron J knows his stuff although I have no idea what his credentials are... After forcing us to get in the water, we went through a 200 warm-up and WOW, from the feel of things, I probably could have used the whole class as a warm-up. We continued-on with some drills. (Enter mouthful(s) of chlorinated water stage left.) Fast forward to our main set: 6 x 100, :10 rest, 4 x 150, :15 rest, 3 x 200, :20 rest. HELLO, WAKE-UP BODY YOU NEED TO MOVE (faster)! I haven't had a serious workout in the water since my season ended in late July. Last night was a wake-up call.

After my third 100, Iron J stopped me to point out that I wasn't rotating enough. I was pausing too much between strokes and lying flat in the water causing too much drag.

Ok, thank you Iron J, I'll work on that.

Self-talk: Come on body. Rotate more. Abs and obliques, this is your cue so WORK IT!!

::pause for response::

Self-talk: Hello? Abs? Obliques? Anybody home?

::no response::

Well, I guess I deserved that non-response from my body as I have ignored the fact that those muscles exist. Apparently eating cake, chips and drinking soda does not make for a friendly relationship with your core. Thanks for the reminder body, you could have warned me earlier.

I felt like I was starting to rotate more and it was beginning to feel a little normal. After getting through the 100s, on to the 150s, and again Iron J in his infinite wisdom had another suggestion for me. He wanted me to pull more with my lats and less with my shoulder when following through on my stroke. Apparently, I was reaching down too far in the water and not bending my elbow enough which caused me to not catch a lot of water or use my strength when following through on my stroke.

Me: Ok, thank you Iron J, I'll work on that.

Iron J: You look confused.

Me: Well, not confused as much as overwhelmed. I feel like I'm drowning. Do I look like I'm drowning?? It's all so much to think about and when I start thinking about what I'm doing, I start to slowly sink in the water...

Iron J: Do you want me to only give you one suggestion a class?

Me: How many suggestions do you have for me?!?! Am I that bad???!!?

Iron J: No, no. You're stroke looks great, it's just the technical things in the water. It really does look good.

Me: Ok, thank you. Give me all the suggestions you think I need. I just feel a little overwhelmed by this drowning feeling.

I think by the end of the class, which was only one of the 200s for me, I was feeling more confident and a little faster. The water started to feel like silk as I was gliding through it. So that's what it feels like to swim, eh?? Good deal, I think I can handle that...

Time for cake?

1 comment:

Julie and Patrick said...

Sweet! Welcome to blogland, not that I'm a veteran. I look forward to reading about your triventures. Great blog name, by the way.

I'm in awe of you Iron people, walking around all Iron-y or pre-Iron-y. So impressed.