Monday, October 15, 2007

Swim Class and a 10k

So, I’m sure you all are dying to hear how swim class went last week. One word: ouchie! My spell check is telling me “ouchie” is not a word, but I guarantee that it is a feeling. I felt ouchie in my lats, I felt ouchie in my lungs and I felt ouchie pounding in my chest. Well, actually that was my heart in my chest, but it was yelling OUCHIE!! in the middle (and beginning and end) of our workout. Iron J didn’t have any suggestions as far as my form was concerned, which I’ll take as a good sign. The other good news is that I’m feeling a lot better in the water. I think my form is starting to come along, I’ll keep you posted.

This weekend was the Autumn Woods Classic. A bunch of TNTers and I went up to Maple Grove and ran the 10k course which ran through Elm Creek Park. It wasn’t really a classic cross country race because we ran on a paved trail through the park, but there were streams and lakes! It really was a beautiful course, and if it weren’t so far from where I lived, I would probably run in the park more often. I hope I can get up there a few times next season and take advantage of the nice trails.

How did the race go? Oh, it was fine. I, being very excited to race, started out too fast and also finished too fast. I ran an average of 8:38/mile which is MUCH faster than what I normally run. I survived though, with only a minor stomach ache. I blame that on being hungry at race start. The race started at 10am, which is much later than I am use to running, which threw me off as to what time I should eat breakfast. Since it was a shorter distance race, I didn’t bring any gels or sport beans with me to eat either. Maybe that’s why I ran so fast, it got me to the food tent at the finish faster…

The rest of the weekend was pretty nice. I took a much too short nap on the couch after the post race party, and then the Iron Fury and I took a trip to Home Depot. Good times had by all or at least Mr. Fury as he was in heaven looking at power tools. I made a deal with him. He could have whatever he wanted at Home Depot if I could buy a sweet (used) 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 from my friend JV. He didn’t get whatever he wanted at Home Depot (by choice), so there’s still hope for a new road bike for me :) Don’t think I won’t let you know how this one turns out..

No comments: